©  Foto:

Vor Frue Church/Church of Our Lady in Assens

Vor Frue Church/Church of Our Lady in Assens

The Church of Our Lady (Vor Frue Kirke) in Assens is the second largest church in the island of Funen.

The Holevad chapel along the north wall of the church and the tower’s square lower section are the remains of a Romanesque church.

In addition to the name – after the Virgin Mary – there are reminders of the church’s Catholic era in the form of a reliquary – now located on the right side of the altar – and a stoup, built into the wall of the chapel of rest (mortuary), which was once the church’s porch (around 1500).

In 1488, the church was completed in its present Gothic form – inclusive of the octagonal 48-metre tower (the only one of its kind in Denmark, on a par with the five towers of Kalundborg Church).

For more information please contact Vor Frue Church/Church of Our Lady, Christina Frost-Hansen, Phone +45 64 71 11 88 - or by e-mail: assens.sogn@km.dk